2008 Update !   John's alter ego- Joe Silverhound just rode into CD Baby and has released 2 of his CDs. You can have a taste gratis or pick up your own .mp3 or CD. He's really gifted and it says "if you like Johnny Cash, Bruce Springsteen or Don Henley" you'll dig Silverhound. I'd add Willie Nelson and Chris Kristofferson to that list. --> http://cdbaby.com/cd/joesilverhound
August 17, 1995
Page updated Nov. 1998
Writer John Martel at Stacey's Books holding his new novel "Conflicts of Interest."My photo of John for his first novel.
I first met John Martel at a whirlwind wedding in Las Vegas during the mid seventies. We had a mutual friend Richard who was a brilliant attorney and a spirited "high roller."
Now Richard might win or lose several hundred thousand dollars in a long evening and all I remember about Richard's bride that night was that she was blonde and attractive. The story was that they met at a singles "Fern" bar in San Francisco where she proceeded to show him how she could tie a maraschino cherry stem into a knot with her tongue. The poor lad was 'nailed.' But I divagate.
John is a trial lawyer who also composes, plays wicked keyboard and warbles his own material in the guise of his alter ego, a smoky voiced singer, name of Joe Silverhound. The "Hound" was going to LA to record and needed pictures. Thus began our friendship.
John is that rare creature, a wunderkind if ever there was one. He is the true Renaissance Man whose accomplishments include...
- Author:  "Conflicts of Interest" and  "Partners"
- Author: Current novel sold by agent Fred Hill to Dutton Publishing for mid-six figures .
- --> scheduled for May '99 release.
- Signed with the William Morris agency for the movie rights to his next novel.
- Air Force Pilot
- Listed (again) in 1999 edition of "Who's Who in the World."
- Veteran Trial Attorney (has won 96 out of 100 trials.)
- Senior Partner at the Montgomery Street Law Firm Farella, Braun & Martel.
- "One of the Ten Best Trial Lawyers in America," The National Law Journal
- Gold Medal Winner ~ 100 Meter High Hurdles (1997 National Master's Track and Field Championships)
- --> defeating the World Champion (from two weeks before at Durban, South Africa) and running the year's fastest time in the world for his age group. CLICK HERE for the whole story borrowed from National Masters News. It's a great 'read.'
- Composer: writing music for a CD to be produced in 1999.
- ...and God knows what else.
He is also a dear soul, a great dresser, been my attorney and advisor on occasion and I would like to think of him as my friend.
Oh yes...he's also serving as a consultant to the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office in the prosecution of the O.J. Simpson case and the retrial of the Erik and Lyle Menendez.